Birthdays are huge milestones in a child’s life and celebrating them with family and friends around is a fantastic way to create a lasting childhood memory. If you are looking for a way keep kids engaged and nurture your creative side, hosting a theme party is your best bet. Coordinating a theme for your decorations, activities, and food is a fun and effective way to make the day special. Read on for some of the best children’s theme ideas that will give kids and adults alike a reason to party.
1. Circus: While one of the most festive ideas on the list it is also one of the simplest. Decorations in bright primary colors, circus music, and stuffed animals (or real ones) are all you really need to make the theme work. Circus-themed birthday supplies are easy to find. In addition, if you want to take it up a notch, many party supply companies rent items such as moon bounces, cotton candy makers, and carnival games for reasonable fees. Or if there’s a circus in town, skip the work and treat everyone to a fun outing! Tip: Very young children may be afraid of clowns, so use some caution when planning a toddler friendly event.
2. Wizards & Magic: Parties that include magical and supernatural themes can be great fun. Due to the popularity of Harry Potter, you should have no problems finding merchandise to coordinate with a Harry Potter-themed party. Try designating rooms in your home as the four Hogwarts houses: Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Slytherin or hold spell casting classes for a fun activity? For something more generic, use props such as caldrons (complete with dry ice to approximate steam), witches, capes, moons, stars, broomsticks and magic wands.
3. Pirate: A treasure hunt is always fun for kids, and popular pirate movies are making phrases like “Ahoy Matey!” and “Argh” popular birthday greetings. Try a treasure hunt for common household objects using a treasure map. Leave clues around your home or yard. Hide treasure in backyard nooks or bury in the yard where an X marks the shallow spot. Great accessories for a pirate-themed birthday party are eye patches, parrots, palm trees, coconuts, the skull and crossbones, treasure maps, anchors and lots of gold, foil wrapped chocolate doubloons.
4. Superhero: The Avengers, The Amazing Spiderman, and Captain America are just a few of the recent blockbuster movies that star some of my favorite superhero legends. Have guests come dressed as their favorite hero or make costumes for a creative activity. This type of theme has many DIY elements so that you can be Super Mom while keeping the event within a reasonable budget. Since these characters are so popular check dollar stores and places like Five Below for coordinating decorations and favors.
5. Despicable Me: Who doesn’t love those adorable minions? And what mom or dad couldn’t use a few minions of their own? Fill your party space with blue and yellow balloons, streamers, and table décor. Serve snacks like minion pops, minion themed cupcakes, and minion-pants cookies to further enhance your theme.
6. Spa Party: Girls will love an opportunity to experiment with makeup and hair products under the supervision of a knowledgeable adult. If the girls involved are old enough to apply makeup unsupervised, prepare seating areas with good lighting and enough mirrors to accommodate at least a few of the guests, who can then take turns experimenting. Each girl will need her own supplies, so have goodie bags prepared in advance which items such as makeup samples, applicators, nail polish, skin care products, and other similar items. In the interest of fast cleanup, keep makeup remover and tissues close by. Makeover parties can be great photo ops, too, so be sure to have your camera handy for before and after pictures.
7. Frozen: Disney’s Frozen is now the top grossing animated film of all time. Needless to say it is also one of the most popular children’s party themes of the year. You don’t have to be Frozen’s #1 fan to “Let It Go” like Anna and Elsa. There is an abundance of party ideas with this theme in mind. From Olaf the Snowman crafts to glittery snowflakes to blue cake pops the options for this theme are almost limitless. Check out our Pinterest board for some great ideas for this theme.
8. Alice in Wonderland: Fall down the rabbit hole and into an Alice in Wonderland themed birthday party! With Lewis Carroll’s classic tale as your setting, a magical afternoon tea party in Wonderland will delight for your next birthday celebration. For an extra flair, have guests dress as characters such as the Mad Hatter, Alice, or even the Cheshire Cat.
9. Spring Garden Party: The key to this theme is well…a garden. Recreate Spring any time of year by adding delicate bouquets of carnations and daisies as centerpieces. Serve snacks like orange blossom tea and finger sandwiches. If possible plan to hold the party outside and stick with pastel and floral decor.
10. Luau Party: What summer is complete without grass skirts, coconut drinks, and tiki torches? Luau themes are relatively easy to pull off on a budget. Dollar stores and online sites such as Oriental Trading offer a wide variety of low cost luau themed supplies. Luau themes also work well when combined with a pool party or waterfront venue.