Last November, I compiled a list of 40+ of the best tips and hacks in the world of beauty (found here). As it turns out, it has been the most popular blog post I have ever published – and also one of the most fun to write! Well I am back for round 2!! Check out this batch of 40+ of the most amazing and easy beauty tips and tricks!
1) When curling eyelashes, blow dry the eyelash curler on high for 3-5 seconds then use to curl eyelashes (don’t overheat). The heat will help to set the curl.
2) To make your eye color pop, always use eyeliner that has the undertones of the opposite color of your eyes. Blue eyes should use copper eyeliner. Brown eyes should use navy blue eyeliner. Green eyes should use purple eyeliner. Complementary colors help each other stand out.
3) To reduce eye makeup smudges, use blotting tissue to remove any oil or makeup from the eye area. Then, apply a small dab of cream concealer to hold things in place.
4) Always allow about two fingers from your nose to where blush starts.
5) Dab a shimmery gloss or powder to the center of your lips, top and bottom. This will attract light to your lips, making them look fuller and pouty.
6) Use moistened q-tips to clean up smudges under the eye due to mascara or eyeliner application mistakes.
7) To avoid your eyelashes sticking together, shake the brush horizontally to separate them while applying your mascara.
8) Rub vaseline on your pulse points (inside wrists, behind ears, base of throat, inside elbows, etc) before applying perfume to prolong the scent.
9) To contour your face, use bronzer under the cheekbone and highlighter on the actual cheekbone. Blend well with sponge or brush.
10) To get rid of excess lipstick and stop it from getting on your teeth, put your finger in your mouth, after applying lipstick, close your lips around your finger, and pull it out.
11) Flaky mascara is typically due to the formula being too dry or too old. Make sure to close mascara tightly after use to help keep its moisture. In a pinch, extend the life of your mascara a bit by adding 2-3 drops of saline solution swirling the brush around.
12) Add a drop of peppermint oil to your favorite lip gloss to create your very own lip plumper.
13) Use a white pencil to create the illusion of a bigger eye and make your eye color pop.
14) Use an eyelash curler to perfectly line and curl your eye.
15) The key to making those bright eye shadow colors pop is using a white base. Use a white eyeliner or pigmented eye shadow and cover your entire lid before applying any bold colors.
16) Make your own DIY tinted moisturizer that works as well as BB cream. Mix two parts facial moisturizer with one part concealer. Mix together more or less concealer until desired color is reached.
17) To prolong the life of your lipstick application, hold a tissue over your lips and apply a light dusting of powder over the tissue. This will create a matte look that lasts much longer.
18) Use the number “3” as a guide for applying make-up to contour your face
19) When your tubed cosmetics are running low, cut open the tubes and scoop them into a small pot. Get your money’s worth out of your products and have easy to carry trial sizes of your favorite products that are perfect for travel.
20) To prevent hair color from fading in the summer months, use a conditioning treatment weekly or bi-monthly.
21) When using a treatment oil or mask, warm up the treatment in the microwave to help it soak into the hair. Also wrap the hair while the treatment is on to encourage soaking.
22) To assist with styling straight fine hair, create sticky bobby pins by spraying dry bobby pins with hairspray. Allow to dry for a few seconds and then use to style your hair.
23) Try to avoid washing your hair everyday. Over-washing leaves hair dry and your scalp will create more oils to compensate for the loss of moisture. Instead, use a dry shampoo and style your hair into a braid or ponytail when it’s a bit more oily.
24) Use a dryer sheet to remove static from hair.
25) To set your hairstyle blast it with cool air when you are done styling.
26) For curly hair, use a t-shirt to dry your hair instead of a towel. Shirts are much more absorbent than towels and will help tame frizzy hair.
27) Want to add a jolt of moisture and shine to your hair? Use coconut oil as a hair mask. Apply to the hair and leave on for 5-10 minutes. Rinse with cool or lukewarm water to add more shine.
28) Get rid of split ends by twisting locks of hair and cutting the ones you see sticking out.
29) To mask split ends, use a straightening iron to straighten ends and then apply a hair repair cream.
30) Tame flyaways by spraying hair spray onto a clean toothbrush and brushing the affected areas.
31) To cover up roots in a hurry, use eyeshadow (in a shade closest to your hair color) for a quick fix.
32) Apply eye cream to cuticles. The more you hydrate your cuticles, the stronger your nails will be.
33) Use an opaque white base coat instead of clear to get more dramatic color.
34) Give yourself an easy ombre manicure by using a make-up sponge to apply multiple nail colors at once.
35) If you don’t have nail polish remover, apply clear nail polish over your nail, and then wipe off. It will remove old polish.
36) Use band aids to create easy nail art on your nails.
37) When self-tanning, use a tanner with a guide color. That way you will have instant color before the tan sets and you will see exactly where you put the color and where you may have missed. This is especially helpful for beginners.
38) Use whitening toothpaste and a spare toothbrush to remove yellowing from nails.
39) Use tea tree oil to treat acne at the first sign of an outbreak. The oil has many soothing and antiseptic properties.
40) Use cold green tea bags to reduce puffiness under the eye area.
41) To make your own facial cleansing wipes, cut a roll of paper towels in half. I prefer Viva brand since they are soft and mimic the material used in baby wipes. Then soak the towels in 4 cups warm water, 1-2 tbsp coconut oil, and 1 tsp of your favorite facial wash or baby soap. Store in an airtight container. If you live in an area that is typically very high in humidity you may want to add 5-10 drops of tea tree oil to prevent and potential mold growth.
42) For a great DIY acne mask, mix one part water with one part baking soda until it forms a paste. Apply to affected areas and let dry, approximately 10 minutes. Rinse with warm water. When used regularly (weekly), this method will decrease the size and frequency of your outbreaks.
43) Use an infant toothbrush to exfoliate lips. You can even make an easy lip exfoliator using products that you have at home such as sugar and olive oil. Check out our bubblegum lip scrub recipe here.
44) Our very best beauty tip is to love yourself. Confidence and self-love are beautiful!!